Monday, April 7, 2008

Horse Shows


Horse shows can be fun and exciting, but they are not for everyone. Some equestrians thrive on the challenge and the pressure to ride well in a competitive environment, while others cringe at the thought of riding in front of a judge. For me, horse shows were an integral part of my equestrian background. I lived and breathed for my weekend horse shows.

In between the ages of 14 and 21, I participated in over 100 shows. It was definitely a way of life. I graduated high school early and became a working student in order to pay for the high expenses of this "rich man's sport." I rode 6 or 7 horses everyday and cleaned thirty stall daily just to pay for my lessons and show fees. In Georgia, I primarily showed with the organization, GHJA. It stands for Georgia Hunter Jumper Association. Click on the link http://www.ghja.org/to view the GHJA website.

In Georgia, I won Equitation Year End Champion 3 years in a row. I also won Children's Year End Hunter Champion 2 years and High Jumper Year End Reserve Champion. Year End means the total number of points you have accumulated over the entire year. Each place (1st - 6th) is worth a certain number of points, and at the end of the year the rider with the most points for each division is entitled an award. In GHJA, my favorite award was the Year End Sportsmanship Award. It is only for riders between the ages of 15 -17, and you have to be nominated and then voted on by your peers and competitors. It is a great honor. I was fortunate enough to win this award my last year as a junior rider at the age of 17. It is a wonderful memory.

On a national level, I competed with AHSA. This stands for American Horse Show Association, but it is now called USEF, United States Equestrian Federation. Check out this link http://www.usef.org/to view their website. I competed nationally because I was trying to qualify for the Maclay Medal Finals in Madison Square Garden. This is an annual and prestigious event held for riders between the ages of 15 -17. Since I do not come from a wealthy family, it was very difficult for my trainer and I to attend a lot of these expensive shows. These shows are called "A" shows. They are extremely competitive, political, and challenging. An average A show usually costs between $500 and $900 dollars. That said, I was only able to go to five A shows my last year as a junior rider.

I traveled to Tennessee, North Carolina, and Florida to compete with ASHA. I always did very well and usually won all or most of my classes. I was blessed with an amazing trainer and a fantastic horse! Most of my competitors showed in A shows every weekend and rode six figure horses. My trainer and I would show up late because I couldn't afford to pay for stabling all week, and I would watch the show and get nervous with anticipation. It was a great feeling to be able to win against these very privileged riders. The horse that I showed was an X-racehorse. My trainer, Sharon, bought him off the track when he was three for $500 dollars! She trained him herself, and he became an amazing and talented show jumper.

I didn't qualify for Nationals; I got third at Regionals out of 44 riders. Only the top two riders got to New York for the finals. I was sad at the time, but in hindsight, I feel blessed to have had such a wonderful experience in my life. Horse shows taught me the rewards of hard work and discipline. With enough determination and focus, there is nothing to get in the way of one's dreams.

No comments: